- Forty-first President (1989-1993)
- Religion: Episcopal
- Party: Republican
George HW Bush Offices Held
- Vice President (1981-1989)
- Director of the CIA (1976-1977)
- Chief of the Liaison Office of the People’s Republic of China (1974-1975)
- Chairman of the Republican Nation Committee (1973-1974)
- US House of Representatives from Texas (1967-1971)
George HW Bush Nicknames
- Bush 41
- Papa Bush
- Bush the Elder
- Ellie the Elephant
- Old Pop
- The Resume Candidate
- Daddy Bush
George HW Bush Pets
- Dogs (some were named: Millie and Ranger)
George HW Bush Personal Traits
- Height: 6 feet – 2 inches
George HW Bush Quotes
Red my lips: no new taxes.
I do not like broccoli. And I haven't liked it since I was a little kid and my mother made me eat it. And I'm President of the United States and I'm not going to eat any more broccoli.
There are truckloads of broccoli at this very minute descending on Washington. My family is divided. For the broccoli vote out there; Barbara loves broccoli. She has tried to make me eat it. She eats it all the time herself. So she can go out and meet the caravan of broccoli that's coming in.
It's no exaggeration to say that the undecided could go one way or another.
I have opinions of my own, strong opinions, but I don't always agree with them.
Never ask anyone over 70 how they feel. They'll tell you.
I'm a conservative, but I'm not a nut about it.
The anchor in our world today is freedom, holding us steady in times of change, a symbol of hope to all the world.
The fact is prosperity has a purpose. It's to allow us to pursue "better angels," to give us time to think and grow.
The longer our graduation lines are today, the shorter our unemployment lines will be tomorrow.
No generation can escape history.
My dog Millie knows more about foreign affairs than these two bozos. (talking about Bill Clinton and Al Gore)
It's a very good question, very direct, and I'm not going to answer it.
Losing is tough.
What's wrong with being a boring kind of guy?
I'm not trying to get myself up a notch on the ladder by shoving somebody else down on the ladder, whether it's a candidate or the president of the United States or anybody else. I just don't believe that's the way one ought to campaign, I've never done that.
I like a colorful sock. I'm a sock man.
I hope my own children never have to fight a war.
Every loss of life is terrible.
You have to understand that people that are hurting are going to criticize.
This is America...a brilliant diversity spread like stars, like a thousand points of light in a broad and peaceful sky.
We're going to keep trying to strengthen the American family. To make them more like the Waltons and less like the Simpsons.
I do not mistrust the future; I do not fear what is ahead. For our problems are large, but our heart is larger.
As his vice president for eight years, I learned more from Ronald Reagan than from anyone I encountered in all my years of public life.
We are not the sum of our possessions.
It's much worse to read criticism about your son than yourself.
We know what works. Freedom works. We know what's right. Freedom is right.
Old guys can still do fun things.
The day will come - and it is not far off - when the legacy of Lincoln will finally be fulfilled at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, when a black man or woman will sit in the Oval Office. When that day comes, the most remarkable thing about it will be how naturally it occurs.
I think the 24-hour news cycle has helped exaggerate the differences between the parties. You can always find someone on TV somewhere carping about something. That didn't happen 20 years ago.
I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God.
George HW Bush Timeline – Family
- May 15, 1895 Prescott Sheldon Bush (Father) born in Columbus, Ohio.
- July 1, 1901 Dorothy Wear Walker Bush (Mother) born in York County, Maine.
- August 6, 1921 Prescott Sheldon Bush (Father) marries Dorothy Wear Walker Bush (Mother) in Kennebunkport, Maine.
- August 10, 1922 Prescott “Pressy” Sheldon Bush, Jr. (Brother) born in Portland, Maine.
- June 12, 1924 George Herbert Walker Bush born in Milton, Massachusetts.
- June 8, 1925 Barbara Pierce Bush (Wife) born in New York City, New York.
- February 4, 1926 Nancy Walker Bush Ellis (Sister) born in Milton, Massachusetts.
- May 6, 1931 Jonathan Bush (Brother) born in Greenwich, Connecticut.
- July 14, 1938 William Henry Trotter “Bucky” Bush (Brother) born in Greenwich, Connecticut.
- January 6, 1945 George Herbert Walker Bush marries Barbara Pierce (Wife) at First Presbyterian Church in Rye, New York.
- July 6, 1946 George Walker Bush (Son) born in New Haven, Connecticut.
- December 20, 1949 Pauline “Robin” Bush (Daughter) born in Midland, Texas.
- February 1, 1953 John Ellis “Jeb” Bush (Son) born in Midland, Texas.
- October 11, 1953 Pauline “Robin” Bush (Daughter) dies in New York City, New York.
- January 22, 1955 Neil Mallon Pierce Bush (Son) born in Midland, Texas.
- October 22, 1956 Marvin Pierce Bush (Son) born in Midland, Texas.
- August 18, 1959 Dorothy Walker Bush Koch (Daughter) dies in Newport Beach, California.
- October 8, 1972 Prescott Sheldon Bush (Father) dies in New York City, New York.
- November 19, 1992 Dorothy Wear Walker Bush (Mother) dies in Greenwich, Connecticut.
- June 23, 2010 Prescott “Pressy” Sheldon Bush, Jr. (Brother) dies in Hingham, Massachusetts.
George HW Bush Links
George HW Bush’s Birthplace
George HW Bush’s Home (Kennebunkport, Maine)
George HW Bush Home (Midland, Texas)
George HW Bush’s Home (Houston, Texas)
George HW Bush Presidential Library
George HW Bush on Wikipedia
George HW Bush Blogs
Presidents Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, both Bushes, Clinton and Obama. This is a list of how I think I am like them.Read More
“But he said unto her, Thou speakest as one of the foolish women speaketh. What? shall we receive good at the hand of God, and shall we not receive evil? In all this did not Job sin with his lips.” Job 2:10 KJVRead More
Life can be real hard at times. We don’t always have to be the big winner to serve a purpose in God’s plan. One of the things about the Presidents you don’t hear a whole lot about is what their parents thought about their child becoming President. Who knows if he just wasn’t invited or if he just took a pass because he thought he was too old for that sort of thing.
“Wherefore Hanun took David’s servants, and shaved them, and cut off their garments in the midst hard by their buttocks, and sent them away.” I Chronicles 19:4 KJVRead More
I think he also thought, just as an egg is fragile, the world would come crashing down on our lives once our innocence got corrupted. The tower radioed back, “Sir, we’ve just received word about a shooting in Washington. There is no indication the President has been hit. Word is that two agents are down. That’s all we have right now. But I’m going to make some calls and see if I can get some more information.” The punishment for these alleged spies was designed to send a clear message back to Israel: “We’re not stupid. You can’t fool us. If you send us others, they will be treated the same way.”
“Then thou scarest me with dreams, and terrifiest me through visions: So that my soul chooseth strangling, and death rather than my life.” Job 7:14-15 KJVRead More
One should leave it to others, and not one’s self, the job of reaping praise. I had graced the land where my feet did not feel worthy. He borrowed the family Oldsmobile because it had a radio. He wanted to be prepared in case there were long moments of uncomfortable silence. The silence was eerie. Today was so much different. It would be him who would now control almost all of the conservations.
- “And he arose, and came to his father. But when he was yet a great way off, his father saw him, and had compassion, and ran, and fell on his neck, and kissed him.” Luke 15:20 KJV
But you still think about your child. On Sunday, December 7, 1941 he probably started his day just like any other seventeen year old would. And the prayers never stop.Read More
- “My son, hear the instruction of thy father, and forsake not the law of thy mother: For they shall be an ornament of grace unto thy head, and chains about thy neck.” Proverbs 1: 8-9 KJV
I only remember the first few words of the conversation. That is very true, but I also believe it is a love story.Read More
- “Arise, go to Nineveh, that great city, and cry against it; for their wickedness is come up before me.” Jonah 1:2 KJV
I truly understand the expression of having your life flash before your eyes. He then pledged he would be back in five years, when he was ninety, to do it again.Read More
- “Now after the death of Moses the servant of the LORD it came to pass, that the LORD spake unto Joshua the son of Nun, Moses’ minister, saying, Moses my servant is dead; now therefore arise, go over this Jordan, thou, and all this people, unto the land which I do give to them, even to the children of Israel.” Joshua 1: 1-2 KJV
Most of us will probably go back to our normal football and baseball lives when the World Cup ends. Our young man, who would become president, was also the left-handed first basemen for the Yale baseball team. Sometimes in life we come across these bigger than life characters that have so much influence on the direction of our lives.Read More