Thirty-third President (1945-1953)
- Birthday: May 8, 1884 (Thursday)
- Birthplace: Lamar Missouri
- Zodiac Sign: Taurus
- Date of Death: December 26, 1972 (Tuesday)
- Place of Death: Kansas City, Missouri
- Place of Burial: Harry S Truman Presidential Library and Museum, Independence, Missouri
- Cause of Death: lung congestion, heart irregularity, kidney blockage, digestive system failure, “afflictions of old age”
- Age: 88 years old
- Length of Retirement: 7280 days
Harry S Truman Offices Held
- Vice President (1845-1845)
- Senator (1935-1945) from Missouri
Harry S Truman Nicknames
- Give ‘Em Hell Harry
- The Haberdasher
- Haberdasher Harry
Harry S Truman Pets
- Dogs (Feller “the unwanted Dog,” and Mike)
Harry S Truman Personal Traits
- Height: 5 feet – 9 inches
Harry S Truman Quotes
If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.
It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
You want a friend in Washington? Get a dog.
America was not built on fear. America was built on courage, on imagination and an unbeatable determination to do the job at hand.
The reward of suffering is experience.
If you can't convince them, confuse them.
It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it's a depression when you lose yours.
All the president is, is a glorified public relations man who spends his time flattering, kissing, and kicking people to get them to do what they are supposed to do anyway.
I never did give anybody hell. I just told the truth and they thought it was hell.
I do not believe there is a problem in this country or the world today which could not be settled if approached through the teaching of the Sermon on the Mount.
You know that being an American is more than a matter of where your parents came from. It is a belief that all men are created free and equal and that everyone deserves an even break.
A pessimist is one who makes difficulties of his opportunities and an optimist is one who makes opportunities of his difficulties.
Boys, if you ever pray, pray for me now. I don't know if you fellas ever had a load of hay fall on you, but when they told me what happened yesterday, I felt like the moon, the stars, and all the planets had fallen on me.(On finding out FDR had died and he was now President)
Harry S Truman Timeline – Family
- December 5, 1851 John Anderson Truman (Father) born in Jackson, Missouri.
- November 25, 1852 Martha Ellen Young Truman (Mother) born in Jackson County, Missouri.
- December 28, 1881 John Anderson Truman (Father) and Martha Ellen Young (Mother) marry in Grandview, Missouri.
- May 8, 1884 Harry S Truman is born in Lamar, Missouri.
- February 13, 1885 Bess Wallace Truman (Wife) born in Independence, Missouri.
- April 25, 1886 John Vivian Truman (Brother) born in Harrisonville, Missouri.
- August 12, 1889 Mary Jane Truman (Sister) born in Grandview, Missouri.
- November 3, 1914 John Anderson Truman (Father) dies in Kansas City, Missouri.
- June 28, 1919 Harry S Truman and Bess Wallace (Wife) marry in Independence, Missouri at Trinity Episcopal Church.
- February 17, 1924 Mary Margaret Truman Daniels (Daughter) born in Independence, Missouri.
- July 26, 1947 Martha Ellen Young Truman (Mother) dies in Grandview, Missouri.
- July 8, 1965 John Vivian Truman (Brother) dies in Grandview, Missouri.
- December 26, 1972 Harry S Truman dies in Kansas City, Missouri.
- November 3, 1978 Mary Jane Truman (Sister) dies in Grandview, Missouri.
- October 18, 1982 Bess Wallace Truman (Wife) dies in Independence, Missouri.
- January 29, 2008 Mary Margaret Truman Daniels (Daughter) dies in Chicago, Illinois.
Harry S Truman Links
Harry S Truman Blogs
“For how shall I go up to my father, and the lad be not with me? lest peradventure I see the evil that shall come on my father.” Genesis 44:34 KJVRead More
After all the ceremonies, his body guard took him to Union Station in Washington DC where he would board a train to head home. The ex-President was now, literally, just an average American. If I stayed there any longer, I knew I would feel the pain of their hand slipping out of mine. “Take me! Take me! I just can’t bear my father’s pain over the loss of another son. It will kill him and it will be my fault because I didn’t take extra good care of his youngest son,” he would beg.
Harding, Coolidge, Hoover, FDR, Truman, Eisenhower, Kennedy and LBJ. These are the twenty-ninth through thirty-sixth Presidents. This is a list of how I think I am like them.Read More
- “A man’s pride shall bring him low: but honor shall uphold the humble in spirit.” Proverbs 29:23 KJV
Their union decided that the only way to get the owners attention was to send the workers to the picket lines by calling a strike. Sometimes we fall hard when our pride gets the best of us.Read More
- Move over!James 3: 5-6 KJV
Traffic congestion is one of those big things that really test your Christianity. So there you have it, two rival Presidents and two polar opposite disciples, who are very unlikely partners, working together for the better.Read More