- Thirty-first President (1861-1865)
- Religion: Quaker
- Party: Republican
Herbert Hoover Offices Held
- Secretary of Commerce (1921-1928)
Herbert Hoover Nicknames
- The Chief
- The Great Humanitarian
- The Great Engineer
- Grand Old Man
- Hermit Author of Palo Alto
Herbert Hoover Pets
- Dogs (some of the names: King Tut, Glen, Yukon, Pat, Big Ben, Sonnie, Patrick, Eagle Gillette, and Weejie)
- Two Alligators
Herbert Hoover Personal Traits
- Height: 5 feet – 11-1/2 inches
Herbert Hoover Quotes
Children are our most valuable natural resource.
Prosperity cannot be restored by raids upon the public treasury.
Blessed are the young for they shall inherit the national debt.
Honor is not the exclusive property of any political party.
All men are equal before fish.
Freedom is the open window through which pours the sunlight of the human spirit and human dignity.
About the time we can make ends meet, somebody moves the ends.
A good many things go around in the dark besides Santa Claus.
It is just as important that business keep out of government as that government keep out of business.
Older men declare war. But it is the youth that must fight and die.
The thing I enjoy most were visits from children. They did not want public office.
Herbert Hoover Timeline – Family
- September 2, 1846 Jesse Clark (Father) born in Miami, Ohio.
- May 4, 1848 Hulda Randall Minthorn Hoover (Mother) born in Norwich, Ontario, Canada.
- March 12, 1870 Jesse Clark (Father) marries Hulda Randall Minthorn (Mother) in Iowa.
- January 28, 1871 Theodore Jesse Hoover (Brother) born in West Branch, Iowa.
- March 29, 1874 Lou Henry Hoover (Wife) born in Waterloo, Iowa.
- August 10, 1874 Herbert Hoover born in West Branch, Iowa.
- September 1, 1876 Mary “May” Hoover Leavitt (Sister) born in West Branch, Iowa.
- December 13, 1880 Jesse Clark (Father) dies in West Branch, Iowa.
- February 22, 1884 Hulda Randall Minthorn Hoover (Mother) dies in West Branch, Iowa.
- February 10, 1899 Herbert Hoover marries Lou Henry (Wife) in Monterey, California.
- August 4, 1903 Herbert Clark Hoover, Jr. (Son) born in London, England.
- July 17, 1907 Allan Henry Hoover (Son) born in London, England.
- November 4, 1933 Allan Henry Hoover (Son) dies in Portola Valley, California.
- January 7, 1944 Lou Henry Hoover (Wife) dies in New York, New York.
- June 7, 1953 Mary “May” Hoover Leavitt (Sister) dies in Santa Monica, California.
- February 4, 1955 Theodore Jesse Hoover (Brother) born in Santa Cruz, California.
- October 20, 1964 Herbert Hoover dies in New York, New York.
- July 9, 1969 Herbert Clark Hoover, Jr. (Son) dies in Pasadena, California.
Herbert Hoover Links
Herbert Hoover Blogs
Harding, Coolidge, Hoover, FDR, Truman, Eisenhower, Kennedy and LBJ. These are the twenty-ninth through thirty-sixth Presidents. This is a list of how I think I am like them.Read More
“For I have satiated the weary soul, and I have replenished every sorrowful soul.” Jeremiah 31:25 KJVRead More
He held the hand of his older brother and younger sister. What would happen them? He no longer had his family. He was headed into the land of the great and scary unknown. That more than likely translates into a better life for one’s self.
- Move over!James 3: 5-6 KJV
Traffic congestion is one of those big things that really test your Christianity. So there you have it, two rival Presidents and two polar opposite disciples, who are very unlikely partners, working together for the better.Read More