- Fifteenth President (1857-1861)
- Birthday: April 23, 1791 (Saturday)
- Birthplace: Cove Gap, Pennsylvania
- Zodiac Sign: Taurus
- Date of Death: June 1, 1868 (Monday)
- Place of Death: Lancaster, Pennsylvania
- Place of Burial: Woodward Hill Cemetery, Lancaster, Pennsylvania
- Cause of Death: Respiratory failure, gout
- Age: 77 years old
- Length of Retirement: 2646 days
- Religion: Presbyterianism
- Party: Democrat
James Buchanan Offices Held
- Secretary of State (1845-1849)
- Minister to the United Kingdom (1853-1856)
- Senator (from Pennsylvania) (1834-1845)
- Minister to Russia (1832-1833)
- House of Representatives (from Pennsylvania) (1823-1831)
James Buchanan Nicknames
- The Bachelor President
- Ten-Cent Jimmy (a reaction to his campaign that 10-cents a day was decent pay)
- Old Buck
- Old Public Functionary
James Buchanan Pets
- Dogs (Punch and Lara were a couple of their names)
- pair of Bald Eagles
James Buchanan Personal Traits
- Height: 6 feet – 0 inches
James Buchanan Quotes
If you are as happy in entering the White House as I shall feel on returning to Wheatland, you are a happy man indeed.
Whatever the result may be, I shall carry to my grave the consciousness that I at least meant well for my country.
I like the sound of democracy.
The ballot box is the surest arbiter of disputes among free men.
The remedy for this state thing can only be supplied by Congress, since the Constitution has confided to that body alone the power to make war.
What is right and what is practicable are two different things.
There is nothing stable but Heaven and the Constitution.
James Buchanan Timeline – Family
- (about) July 16, 1763 James Buchanan, Sr. (Father) born in Blairlush, Ireland.
- March 17, 1767 Elizabeth Speer Buchanan (Mother) born in Greensburg, Pennsylvania.
- April 16, 1788 James Buchanan, Sr. (Father) marries Elizabeth Speer (Mother) in Lancaster, Pennsylvania.
- 1789 Mary Buchanan (Sister) born.
- 1791 Mary Buchanan (Sister) dies.
- April 23, 1791 James Buchanan born in Mercersburg, Pennsylvania.
- July 17, 1793 Elizabeth Jane Buchanan Lane (Sister) born in Mercersburg, Pennsylvania.
- December 17, 1795 Maria Buchanan Magaw Johnson Yates Frank (Sister) born in Cove Gap, Pennsylvania.
- November 4, 1798 Sarah Buchanan Huston (Sister) born in Cove Gap, Pennsylvania.
- March 8, 1800 Elizabeth E. Buchanan (Sister) born.
- August 28, 1801 Elizabeth E. Buchanan (Sister) dies.
- August 5, 1802 Harriet Buchanan Henry (Sister) born.
- November 24, 1804 John Buchanan (Brother) born.
- December 5, 1804 John Buchanan (Brother) dies.
- October 2 (or November 14), 1805 William Speer Buchanan (Brother) born in Mercersburg, Pennsylvania.
- April 16, 1808 George Washington Buchanan (Brother) born Franklin County, Pennsylvania.
- May 30, 1811 Edward Young Buchanan (Brother) born in Mercersburg, Pennsylvania.
- June 11, 1821 James Buchanan, Sr. (Father) dies in Mercersburg, Pennsylvania.
- January 27, 1825 Sarah Buchanan Huston (Sister) dies in Mercersburg, Pennsylvania.
- December 19, 1826 William Speer Buchanan (Brother) dies in Chambersburg, Pennsylvania.
- September 26, 1832 George Washington Buchanan (Brother) dies.
- May 14, 1833 Elizabeth Speer Buchanan (Mother) dies in Greensburg, Pennsylvania.
- February 20, 1839 Elizabeth Jane Buchanan Lane (Sister) dies in Mercersburg, Pennsylvania.
- January 23, 1840 Harriet Buchanan Henry (Sister) dies.
- November 3, 1849 Maria Buchanan Magaw Johnson Yates Frank (Sister) dies in Crawford County, Pennsylvania.
- June 1, 1868 James Buchanan dies in Lancaster, Pennsylvania.
- January 20 (or January 25), 1895 Edward Young Buchanan (Brother) dies in Titusville, Pennsylvania.
James Buchanan Links
James Buchanan Blogs
“And as he passed by, he saw Levi the son of Alphaeus sitting at the receipt of custom, and said unto him, Follow me. And he arose and followed him.” Mark 2:14 KJVRead More
Her father had heard much about the tainted Young Buck and he was not very happy that his daughter was even associating with him. When Levi decided to become a tax collector, I’m sure his father, his family and all his friends’ hearts sank. I got up from my seat and snuck up behind him. Using his radio jingle I asked him if he could help me with my plumbing problem.
James K. Polk, Zachary Taylor, Millard Fillmore, Franklin Pierce, James Buchanan, Abraham Lincoln, Andrew Johnson, Ulysses S Grant, and Rutherford B. Hayes. These are Presidents eleven through nineteen. Here is a list of how I think I am like them.Read More
- Then Jesus answering said unto them, Go your way, and tell John what things ye have seen and heard; how that the blind see, the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, to the poor the gospel is preached.Luke 7:22 KJV
Imagine a world where someone listened so intently to all your spoken words. What if you were to just say something like: “Blah, blah, blah,” and they looked at you like you had the wisdom of Solomon? What if you had one of those really bad days where everything seemed to go wrong and no one would even give you the time of day and you came across this person who just sat there listening to you as you whined and you just sensed they felt your pain? One of the best I’ve ever known at this was Tucker, a sweet little dog we use to have.Read More