- Thirty-ninth President (1977-1981)
- Religion: Baptist
- Party: Democratic
Jimmy Carter Offices Held
- Governor of Georgia (1971-1975)
- Georgia State Senator (1963-1967)
- Peanut Farmer
Jimmy Carter Nicknames
- The Peanut Farmer
- President Malaise
- Cousin Hot
- Hot Shot
Jimmy Carter Pets
- Dogs (some named: Grits and Lewis Brown)
- Cat (Misty Malarky Ying Yang)
Jimmy Carter Personal Traits
- Height: 5 feet – 9-1/2 inches
Jimmy Carter Quotes
America did not invent human rights. In a very real sense human rights invented America.
Unless both sides win, no agreement can be permanent.
The best way to enhance freedom in other lands is to demonstrate here that our democratic system is worthy of emulation.
We should live our lives as though Christ were coming this afternoon.
I have often wanted to drown my troubles, but I can't get my wife to go swimming.
I've looked on many women with lust. I've committed adultery in my heart many times. God knows I will do this and forgives me.
People who embark on a mission or crusade without being united almost inevitably lose.
We weaken ourselves when we ignore our need to forgive those who may have wronged us.
When our moral values become a source of pride and prejudice against others, then they become an affliction instead of an asset.
Only at night can we see the stars, and the darker the night gets, the more stars we see.
(From a Prayer in "Through the Year with Jimmy Carter") Let me remember that Jesus came to give me life, not death.
As President and in later years I've had many opportunities to travel and learn the unique perspectives of people around the world. As a result, I've begun to see that Americans are legitimately subject to tough criticism, because quite often we're far better at preaching Christian principles than we are at putting them into practice.
Freedom of worship is a precious thing - a painful discovery when we lose it.
Science does not eliminate miracles. It simply lets us see how miraculous is God's creation.
"I was fishing one afternoon…and a rabbit was being chased by hounds... he jumped in the water and swam toward my boat. When he got almost there, I splashed some water with a paddle." (The "Killer Rabbit" that "attacked" Carter as he was fishing in a boat)
Jimmy Carter Timeline – Family
- September 12, 1894 James Earl Carter, Sr. (Father) born in Arlington, Georgia.
- August 15, 1898 Bessie Lillian Gordy Carter (Mother) born in Richland, Georgia.
- September 27, 1923 James Earl Carter, Sr. (Father) marries Bessie Lillian Gordy (Mother).
- October 1, 1924 James “Jimmy” Earl Carter, Jr. born in Plains, Georgia.
- October 22, 1926 Gloria Carter Spann (Sister) born in Plains, Georgia.
- August 18, 1927 Eleanor Rosalynn Smith Carter (Wife) born in Plains, Georgia.
- August 7, 1929 Ruth Carter Stapleton (Sister) born in Plains, Georgia.
- March 29, 1937 William “Billy” Alton Carter III (Brother) born in Plains, Georgia.
- July 7, 1946 James “Jimmy” Earl Carter, Jr. marries Rosalynn Smith in Plains, Georgia.
- July 3, 1947 John “Jack” William Carter (Son) born in Portsmouth, Virginia.
- April 12, 1950 James “Chip” Earl Carter (Son) born in Honolulu, Hawaii.
- August 18, 1952 Donnel Jeffery “Jeff” Carter (Son) born in New London, Connecticut.
- July 23, 1953 James Earl Carter, Sr. (Father) dies in Plains, Georgia.
- October 19, 1967 Amy Lynn Carter (Wentzel) (Daughter) born in Plains, Georgia.
- September 26, 1983 Ruth Carter Stapleton (Sister) dies in Fayetteville, North Carolina.
- October 30, 1983 Bessie Lillian Gordy Carter (Mother) dies in Americus, Georgia.
- September 25, 1988 William “Billy” Alton Carter III (Brother) dies in Plains, Georgia.
- March 5, 1990 Gloria Carter Spann (Sister) dies in Americus, Georgia.
Jimmy Carter Links
Jimmy Carter Blogs
Presidents Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, both Bushes, Clinton and Obama. This is a list of how I think I am like them.Read More
“Meditate upon these things; give thyself wholly to them; that thy profiting may appear to all.” I Timothy 4:15 KJVRead More
Luther would be forced to flee where he knew he could survive, the place where he sat on the canyon’s edge. Before he knew it there was a massive structure right in front of him. It was estimated that, even with protective clothing, each person could spend a maximum of ninety seconds of exposure.
“Thou oughtest therefore to have put my money to the exchangers, and then at my coming I should have received mine own with usury.” Matthew 25:27 KJVRead More
As quickly as the stranger entered the small town, he left. It is up to us to decide how we will invest what He has given us.
- “And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; And patience, experience; and experience, hope: And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us. Romans 5: 3-5 KJV
My efforts started during my middle school years when I developed my first crush on a real girl. What did change look like? The truth they learned did not make their world better. Let me be wiser today because of the bruises of yesterday.Read More
- Who stayed here?Revelation 3:20 KJV
Suppose you wanted to run for President, just where would you start? If I were from, let’s say, Virginia, how would I reach out to someone in let’s say, Idaho? In today’s internet world it might be a little easier, but if you are in the pre-internet days it would probably have been a lot harder. I can see it now, “Mom, there is some weirdo standing at the door who says he wants to be the next President and he wants to talk to you.”Read More