- Twenty-fifth President (1897-1901)
- Birthday: January 29, 1843 (Sunday)
- Birthplace: Niles, Ohio
- Zodiac Sign: Aquarius
- Date of Death: September 14, 1901 (Saturday)
- Place of Death: Buffalo, New York
- Place of Burial: McKinley National Memorial, Canton, Ohio
- Cause of Death: Gangrene (gunshot wound)
- Age: 58 years old
- Length of Retirement: 0 days (died in office)
- Religion: Methodist
- Party: Republican
William McKinley Offices Held
- Governor of Ohio (1892-1896)
William McKinley Nicknames
- Idol of Ohio
- The Napoleon of Protection
- Ohio Napoleon
- Liberator of Cuba
- Wobbly Willie
- Stocking-footed Orator
- The Major
- The Human Iceberg
William McKinley Pets
- Parrot (named Washington Post)
- Kittens (named Valeriano Weyler and Enrique DeLome)
William McKinley Personal Traits
- Height: 5 feet – 7 inches
William McKinley Quotes
War should never be entered upon until every agency of peace has failed.
That's all a man can hope for during his lifetime - to set an example - and when he is dead, to be an inspiration for history.
The mission of the United States is one of benevolent assimilation.
I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor. It is a symbol of despair. Cheap prices make cheap goods; cheap goods make for cheap men; and cheap men make for a cheap country.
The free man cannot be long an ignorant man.
In the time of darkest defeat, victory may be nearest.
Expositions are the timekeepers of progress.
We need Hawaii just as much and a good deal more than we did California. It is Manifest Destiny.
I am a tariff man, standing on a tariff platform.
I have never been in doubt since I was old enough to think intelligently that I would someday be a made president.
Cuba ought to be free and independent, and the government should be turned over to the Cuban people.
Our differences are policies; our agreements, principals.
William McKinley Timeline – Family
- November 15, 1807 William McKinley, Sr. (Father) born in Pine Township, Pennsylvania.
- April 22, 1809 Nancy Campbell Allison McKinley (Mother) born in New Lisbon, Ohio.
- January 6, 1829 William McKinley, Sr. (Father) marries Nancy Campbell Allison (Mother).
- November 23, 1829 David Allison McKinley (Brother) born in New Lisbon, Ohio.
- September 24, 1832 Anna “Annie” McKinley (Sister) born in New Lisbon, Ohio.
- September 27, 1833 James Rose McKinley (Brother) born in New Lisbon, Ohio.
- September 22, 1835 Mary McKinley (Sister) born in New Lisbon, Ohio.
- March 13, 1838 Helen Minerva McKinley (Sister) born in Niles, Ohio.
- October 1, 1840 Sarah Elizabeth McKinley (Sister) born in Niles, Ohio.
- January 29, 1843 William McKinley, Jr. born in Niles, Ohio.
- June 1, 1845 Abigail “Abbie” Celia McKinley (Sister) born in Niles, Ohio.
- January 26, 1846 Abigail “Abbie” Celia McKinley (Sister) dies.
- June 8, 1847 Ida Saxton McKinley (Wife) born in Canton, Ohio.
- November 27, 1847 Abner Osborn McKinley (Brother) born in Niles, Ohio.
- June 20, 1868 Mary McKinley (Sister) dies in Poland, Ohio.
- January 25, 1871 William McKinley, Jr. marries Ida Saxton (Wife) at the First Presbyterian Church in Canton, Ohio.
- December 25, 1871 Katherine “Katie” McKinley (Daughter) born in Canton, Ohio.
- April 1, 1873 Ida “Little Ida” McKinley (Daughter) born.
- August 22, 1873 Ida “Little Ida” McKinley (Daughter) dies.
- June 25, 1875 Katherine “Katie” McKinley (Daughter) dies in Canton, Ohio.
- October 11, 1889 James Rose McKinley (Brother) dies in New Castle, Pennsylvania.
- July 29, 1890 Anna “Annie” McKinley (Sister) dies in Canton, Ohio.
- September 18, 1892 David Allison McKinley (Brother) dies in San Francisco, California.
- November 24, 1892 William McKinley, Sr. (Father) dies in Canton, Ohio.
- December 12, 1897 Nancy Campbell Allison McKinley (Mother) dies in Canton, Ohio.
- September 14, 1901 William McKinley, Jr. dies in Buffalo, New York.
- June 11, 1904 Abner Osborn McKinley (Brother) dies in Somerset, Pennsylvania.
- May 26, 1907 Ida Saxton McKinley (Wife) dies in Canton, Ohio.
- June 9, 1924 Helen Minerva McKinley (Sister) dies in Cleveland, Ohio.
- November 22, 1931 Sarah Elizabeth McKinley (Sister) dies in Poland, Ohio.
William McKinley Links
William McKinley Blogs
“Which now of these three, thinkest thou, was neighbour unto him that fell among the thieves?” Luke 10:36 KJVRead More
It is perhaps the most touching love stories of all the Presidential romances. Rosh gently lifted Dan on to his mule and took him to town. One of the biggest components of my life’s contentment wakes up next to me each morning.
Garfield, Arthur, Cleveland, B. Harrison, McKinley, T. Roosevelt, Taft, and Wilson. These are the twentieth through twenty-eighth Presidents. This is a list of how I think I am like them.Read More
- “Their bull gendereth, and faileth not; their cow calveth, and casteth not her calf.” Job 21:10 KJV
Being a little lad at the time, I was thrilled when my Dad cut the length of one of his old golf cubs to the right size for a little boy like me. Let’s just say, my Dad wasn’t too thrilled with my golfing efforts.Read More
Reality is the place God has set us and I believe He expects us to look to Him for direction and not lift our dreams above His.
- “And they set the ark of God upon a new cart, and brought it out of the house of Abinadab that was in Gibeah: and Uzzah and Ahio, the sons of Abinadab, drave the new cart.” 2 Samuel 6:3 KJV
It’s probably not politically correct to even talk about Indians this way today, but it kept us busy for hours. Tecumseh was a Shawnee Indian warrior. Tenskwatawa, the Prophet, was his younger brother. How it really happens or if it really happened at all is often suspect.Read More
- And, behold, there appeared unto them Moses and Elias talking with him. Matthew 17:3 KJV
Have you ever wondered what it would be like to travel back in time? Where would you go? Would you witness some historical event? Would you go see some famous person? Would you go back and try to fix a mistake? With so many choices, what would you do?Read More