- Thirtieth President (1923-1929)
- Birthday: July 4, 1872 (Thursday)
- Birthplace: Plymouth, Vermont
- Zodiac Sign: Cancer
- Date of Death: January 5, 1933 (Thursday)
- Place of Death: Northampton, Massachusetts
- Place of Burial: North Cemetery, Plymouth Notch, Vermont
- Cause of Death: Heart attack
- Age: 60 years old
- Length of Retirement: 1403 days
- Religion: Congregationalism
- Party: Republican
Calvin Coolidge Offices Held
- Vice President (1921-1923)
- Governor of Massachusetts (1919-1921)
- Lieutenant Governor of Massachusetts (1916-1919)
- Massachusetts Senate (1912-1915)
- Mayor of Northampton, Massachusetts (1910-1911)
- Massachusetts House of Representatives (1907-1908)
Calvin Coolidge Nicknames
- Silent Cal
- Cool Cal
- Cautious Cal
- Sphinx of the Potomac
Calvin Coolidge Pets
- Dogs (some of the names: Rob Roy, Prudence Prim, Peter Pan, Paul Pry, Calamity Jane, Blackberry, King Kole, Bessie, Palo Alto, and Tiny Tim)
- Cats (some of the names: Bounder, Tiger, and Blacky)
- Raccoons (Rebecca and Horace)
- Donkey (Ebeneezer)
- Canaries (Nip, Tuck and Snowflake)
- Pygmy Hippo (Billy)
- Goose (Enoch)
- Bobcat (Smoky)
- Lion Cubs (Tax Reduction and Budget Bureau)
- Thrush (Old Bill)
- Black Bear
Calvin Coolidge Personal Traits
- Height: 5 feet – 10 inches
Calvin Coolidge Quotes
It takes a great man to be a good listener.
Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong.
Prosperity is only an instrument to be used, not a deity to be worshiped.
I have never been hurt by anything I didn't say.
The chief business of the American people is business.
Never go out to meet trouble. If you will just sit still, nine cases out of ten someone will intercept it before it reaches you.
There is no dignity quite so impressive, and no one independence quite so important, as living within your means.
It is only when men begin to worship that they begin to grow.
Collecting more taxes than is absolutely necessary is legalized robbery.
We cannot do everything at once, but we can do something at once.
When a great many people are unable to find work, unemployment results.
If you don't say anything, you won't be called on to repeat it.
The business of America is business.
Any reward that is worth having only comes to the industrious. The success which is made in any walk of life is measured almost exactly by the amount of hard work that is put into it.
It is our theory that the people own the government, not that the government should own the people.
No nation ever had an army large enough to guarantee it against attack in time of peace, or ensure it of victory in time of war.
Patriotism is easy to understand in America; it means looking out for yourself by looking out for your country.
There is only one form of political strategy in which I have any confidence, and that is to try to do the right thing and sometimes be able to succeed.
Mass demand has been created almost entirely through the development of advertising.
Calvin Coolidge Timeline – Family
- March 31, 1845 John Calvin Coolidge, Sr. (Father) born in Windsor County, Vermont.
- March 14, 1846 Victoria Josephine Moor Coolidge (Mother) born in Plymouth, Vermont.
- May 6, 1868 John Calvin Coolidge, Sr. (Father) marries Victoria Josephine Moor (Mother) in Plymouth, Vermont.
- July 4, 1872 Calvin Coolidge born in Plymouth Notch, Vermont.
- April 15, 1875 Abigail “Abbie” Gratia Coolidge (Sister) born in Plymouth, Vermont.
- January 3, 1879 Grace Anna Goodhue Coolidge (Wife) born in Burlington, Vermont.
- March 14, 1885 Victoria Josephine Moor Coolidge (Mother) dies in Plymouth, Vermont.
- March 6, 1890 Abigail “Abbie” Gratia Coolidge (Sister) dies in Plymouth, Vermont.
- October 4, 1905 Calvin Coolidge marries Grace Anna Goodhue (Wife) at her parent’s home in Burlington, Vermont.
- September 7, 1906 John Coolidge (Son) born in Northampton, Massachusetts.
- April 13, 1908 Calvin Coolidge, Jr. (Son) born in Northampton Massachusetts.
- July 7, 1924 Calvin Coolidge, Jr. (Son) dies.
- March 18, 1926 John Calvin Coolidge, Sr. (Father) dies in Plymouth, Vermont.
- January 5, 1933 Calvin Coolidge dies in Northampton, Massachusetts.
- July 8, 1957 Grace Anna Goodhue Coolidge (Wife) dies in Northampton, Massachusetts.
- May 31, 2000 John Coolidge (Son) dies in Lebanon, New Hampshire.
Calvin Coolidge Links
Calvin Coolidge Blogs
“And ye shall take you on the first day the boughs of goodly trees, branches of palm trees, and the boughs of thick trees, and willows of the brook; and ye shall rejoice before the LORD your God seven days.” Leviticus 23:40 KJVRead More
On the fourth of July in 1872, John would have to skip the 4th of July celebrations in Plymouth Notch. You see, John’s son would be born on that day. It’s called a sukkah and it is used to celebrate the Festival of Sukkot. She then said, with the biggest smile on her face, “You know I don’t like surprises.”
Harding, Coolidge, Hoover, FDR, Truman, Eisenhower, Kennedy and LBJ. These are the twenty-ninth through thirty-sixth Presidents. This is a list of how I think I am like them.Read More
- “And saying, Sirs, why do ye these things? We also are men of like passions with you, and preach unto you that ye should turn from these vanities unto the living God, which made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and all things that are therein….” Acts 14:15 KJV
I just want some of that passion juice. The spark that started their relationship was remembered at its end. One of the problems with the defense of never being burnt by passion again is that you spend so much time defending against the hurt and you just might miss out on the things that make happiness happen.Read More
- “And the elders of his house arose, and went to him, to raise him up from the earth: but he would not, neither did he eat bread with them.” II Samuel 12:17 KJV
She even did the unwomanly thing and let me keep the toilet seat up in the downstairs bathroom. These two sons loved to play tennis at the White House. Instead of being the hands on commander that got him there, he decided to become a stay-in-the-castle type king.Read More