- Thirty-seventh President (1969-1974)
- Religion: Quaker
- Party: Republican
Richard Nixon Offices Held
- Vice President (1953-1961)
- US Senator from California (1950-1953)
- US House of Representatives from California (1947-1950)
Richard Nixon Nicknames
- Tricky Dick
- Gloomy Gus
- Richard the Chicken-Hearted
- The Boss
Richard Nixon Pets
- Dogs (some were named: Checkers, Vicky, Pasha, and King Timahoe)
Richard Nixon Personal Traits
- Height: 5 feet – 11-1/2 inches
Richard Nixon Quotes
I am not a crook.
The greatest honor history can bestow is that of peacemaker.
When the President does it, that means that it's not illegal.
If you take no risks, you will suffer no defeats. But if you take no risks, you win no victories.
Well, I screwed it up real good, didn't I?
A man is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
I gave 'em a sword. And they stuck it in, and they twisted it with relish. And I guess if I had been in their position, I'd have done the same thing.
Finishing second in the Olympics gets you silver. Finishing second in politics gets you oblivion.
The press is my enemy.
I played by the rules of politics as I found them.
You've got to learn to survive a defeat. That's when you develop character.
The finest steel has to go through the hottest fire.
If an individual wants to be a leader and isn't controversial, that means he never stood for anything.
Remember, always give your best. Never get discouraged. Never be petty. Always remember, others may hate you. But those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Only if you have been in the deepest valley, can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain.
We must always remember that America is a great nation today not because of what government did for people but because of what people did for themselves and for one another.
The greatness comes not when things go always good for you. But the greatness comes when you're really tested, when you take some knocks, some disappointments, when sadness comes.
It is necessary for me to establish a winner image. Therefore, I have to beat somebody.
Success is not a harbor but a voyage with its own perils to the spirit. The game of life is to come up a a winner, to be a success, or to achieve what we set out to do.
People react to fear, not love; they don't teach that in Sunday School, but it's true.
Solutions are not the answer.
Voters quickly forget what a man says.
Never let your head hang down. Never give up and sit down and grieve. Find another way. And don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines.
In the long term we can hope that religion will change the nature of man and reduce conflict. But history is not encouraging in this respect. The bloodiest wars in history have been religious wars.
If you want to make beautiful music, you must play the black and the white notes together.
I let the American people down.
Government can provide opportunity. But opportunity means nothing unless people are prepared to seize it.
When I retire I'm going to spend my evenings by the fireplace going through those boxes. There are things in there that ought to be burned.
I'm glad I'm not Brezhnev. Being the Russian leader in the Kremlin. You never know if someone's tape recording what you say.
Scrubbing floors and emptying bedpans has as much dignity as the Presidency.
You won't have Nixon to kick around anymore, because, gentlemen, this is my last press conference.
A man down in Texas heard Pat on the radio mention the fact that our two youngsters would like to have a dog. And, believe it or not, the day before we left on this campaign trip we got a message from Union Station in Baltimore saying they had a package for us. We went down to get it. You know what it was. It was a little cocker spaniel dog in a crate that he’d sent all the way from Texas. Black and white spotted. And our little girl-Tricia, the 6-year old-named it Checkers. And you know, the kids, like all kids, love the dog and I just want to say this right now, that regardless of what they say about it, we’re gonna keep it.(Nixon's September 23, 1952 Checker's Speech)
Richard Nixon Timeline – Family
- December 3, 1878 Francis Anthony Nixon (Father) born in Elk Township, Ohio.
- March 7, 1885 Hannah Milhous Nixon (Mother) born near Bulterville, Indiana.
- June 25, 1908 Francis Anthony Nixon (Father) marries Hannah Milhous (Mother).
- June 1, 1909 Harold Samuel Nixon (Brother) born in Yorba Linda, California.
- March 16, 1912 Thelma Catherine “Pat” Ryan Nixon (Wife) born in Ely, Nevada.
- January 9, 1913 Richard Milhous Nixon born in Yorba Linda, California.
- November 23, 1914 Francis Donald Nixon (Brother) born in Yorba Linda, California.
- May 26, 1918 Arthur Burdg Nixon (Brother) born in Yorba Linda, California.
- August 19, 1925 Arthur Burdg Nixon (Brother) dies in Whittier, California.
- May 3, 1930 Edward Calvert Nixon (Brother) born in Whittier, California.
- March 7, 1933 Harold Samuel Nixon (Brother) dies in Yorba Linda, California.
- June 21, 1940 Richard Milhous Nixon marries Thelma Catherine “Pat” Ryan (Wife) at the Mission Inn in Riverside, California.
- February 21, 1945 Patricia “Trica” Nixon (Daughter) born in Whittier, California.
- July 5, 1948 Julie Nixon Eisenhower (Daughter) born in Washington DC.
- September 4, 1956 Francis Anthony Nixon (Father) dies in La Habra, California.
- September 30, 1967 Hannah Milhous Nixon (Mother) dies in Whittier, California.
- June 27, 1987 Francis Donald Nixon (Brother) dies in Newport Beach, California.
- June 22, 1993 Thelma Catherine “Pat” Ryan Nixon (Wife) dies in Park Ridge, New Jersey.
- April 22, 1994 Richard Milhous Nixon dies in New York City, New York.
Richard Nixon Links
Richard Nixon’s Birthplace
Richard Nixon’s Boyhood Home
Richard Nixon’s Home (Western White House)
Richard Nixon’s Home (New Jersey)
Richard Nixon’s Presidential Library
Richard Nixon’s Grave
Richard Nixon on Wikipedia
Richard Nixon Blogs
Presidents Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, both Bushes, Clinton and Obama. This is a list of how I think I am like them.Read More
- “And Adam gave names to all cattle, and to the fowl of the air, and to every beast of the field; but for Adam there was not found an help meet for him.” Genesis 2:20 KJV
Most were probably trying to escape some other pain, whether physical or emotional, and an unintended side effect of that process was the creation for which they are known. The pain is still very much still there, but its touch cannot be felt, or at the very least it was blunted a little bit. I’m sure he would have done things a lot different, hopefully more ethically, if he would have just applied the blessings from the lessons his parents taught him.Read More
- “Then David said unto the messenger, Thus shalt thou say unto Joab, Let not this thing displease thee, for the sword devoureth one as well as another: make thy battle more strong against the city, and overthrow it: and encourage thou him.” II Samuel 11:25 KJV
Maybe I was hoping Richard could give me some advice. Doing whatever he had to, one of the candidates decided winning was a lot more important than their friendship.Read More